A US ESTA is an Electronic System for Travel Authorisation to travel to the United States. It is the equivalent to a visa, but no stamp or label is placed in your passport. To be eligible you must hold a passport from one of these countries. See all countries.
The Fastest and Easiest Way to Get an US ESTA
- With CIBTvisas, you can apply anytime and you will receive an email or post confirmation from CIBTvisas notifying you once your US ESTA has been issued.
ESTA's can take up to 72 hours to be authorised by the United States Homeland Security.
You must apply for an ESTA at least 72 hours before travel.
- Once an ESTA is issued it is valid for 2 years or until your passport expires, (whichever is sooner) and will allow multiple entries into the United States.
When Travelling on a US ESTA You Must:
- Hold a Return/Onward tickets on a scheduled flight with a major airlines/Cruise company that is registered for ESTA’s
- Not be staying for more than/ up to a maximum of 90 days including Mexico, Canada and the Caribbean Islands
- Have no previous violations of the US Immigration Law (i.e. overstaying the 90 day period)
Important Requirements For US ESTA Applicants
- If you are a US Citizen and hold dual nationality with a Visa Waiver Program country you are not required to have an ESTA. You must use your US passport to travel to the USA.
- Please note: following recent changes under the Terrorist Travel Prevention Act, nationals of VWP countries who have visited: Iran, Iraq, Sudan, Syria, Libya, Somalia or Yemen on or after March, 2011 are no longer eligible to apply for an ESTA.
- Nationals of VWP countries who are also nationals of Iraq, Sudan or Syria are also not eligible for an ESTA.
- As of April 1, 2016, to qualify for an ESTA you must have a passport containing an integrated chip and display the universal e-passport symbol on the front cover (as shown below).